Rental Policy



The purpose of this policy is to guide the N.W.T. Community Services Corporation in complying with its mandate, provided in the Articles of Continuance, which is twofold:

a) To provide affordable housing for seniors and persons with disabilities; and

b) To provide affordable housing to people whose income meets the qualifying income both on application and on a continuing basis.


Senior: A person who has reached the age of 65 years and has been a resident of the Northwest Territories for a minimum of 2 years prior to applying for a rental unit in Northern United Place.

Disability: An identifiable and permanent condition that affects the physical mobility of the applicant.


There will exist a minimum monthly rent. Effective 01 July 2018, minimum rents shall be: 

Bachelor Unit    $670.00

One Bedroom Unit    $710.00

This rent shall be adjusted annually based on the Consumer Price Index or upon such other measures as the Board of Directors deems fit (e.g. current market conditions and/or comparable rents).

All tenants shall pay rent based on 30% of gross household income but that rent shall not be less that the minimum established above.

Once the occupants of a Unit have reached a combined income of $70,000 per annum or more, they will be given a written notice terminating their tenancy no later than 6 months from the date of the notice.

Seniors, or Persons with Disabilities, occupying an apartment on their own or with another senior or disabled person will receive a $300.00 monthly reduction on their rent. 

No reduction in rent shall be granted to Seniors or Persons with Disabilities who occupy the apartment with a person who is neither senior nor disabled. Their rent shall be based on 30% of the gross household income but that rent shall not be less than the minimum established above. 

Tenants shall provide proof of income for the previous year for all persons residing in the rental unit upon signing a lease, and on a yearly basis thereafter (January to December).  This information is due annually and without exception on or before the last working day of June. 

Income shall be verified by:

  1.  Income Tax Return as filed with the Canada Revenue Agency; 
  2.  A Notice of Assessment as issued by the Canada Revenue Agency; 
  3.  A Statement of Business Income as filed with the Canada Revenue Agency for self-employed individuals; 
  4.  Such other proof of income as is acceptable to the Executive Director. 

Tenants may decline to provide proof of income acceptable to the Executive Director. If they so choose, then their rent shall be set at the maximum payable under this policy and they shall be given a six-month notice to vacate the unit as their household income will be deemed to be in excess of $70,000.


Household income shall be the total of all the income noted below from all persons residing in the unit:

  1. Earnings from all sources (wages, salaries, military pay, northern allowances, etc.);
  2. Investment income, including but not limited to savings deposit interest for which a bank has issued a T-5, and rental income from property;
  3. Government transfer payments (child tax benefit, old age security, CPP benefits, EI benefits etc.);
  4.  Retirement pensions, superannuation and annuities; 
  5. Other money income (foster care payments, non-repayable scholarships, bursaries or grants, alimony, royalties, strike and sick pay, severance pay or retiring allowances); and
  6. Any other payments received on a periodic or regular basis.

The following shall not be included when determining total household income: 

  1. Lump sum payments from NWT Workers' Safety and Compensation Commission or equivalent agencies in other jurisdictions; 
  2. Benefits from disability policies; 
  3. Inheritances; or 
  4. Winnings from lotteries or games of chance (e.g. bingo). 

For tenants who are self-employed as a sole owner or partner in an unincorporated business, income shall be determined by deducting operating expenses from gross revenue. A Statement of Business Income as filed with the Canada Revenue Agency for the business shall be provided. Items such as depreciation, meals and entertainment, and capital costs shall not be considered operating expenses. 

If a tenant earns income from both employment and self-employment, any losses in self-employment shall not be used to reduce their employment income for the purposes of determining their rent.

A copy of this policy shall be available to any resident or potential resident.